With Garage Door Safety month kicking off in just a few days, it seems like now is the perfect time to offer up some tips on making your garage a safer place. Automatic garage door systems have added a large degree of convenience and functionality to our lives and homes, but they do carry inherent risks that could leave you or a family member in a precarious position. Avoid any unnecessary risk or injury by applying the following tips to your garage and garage door.
- Keep your automatic garage door remote control out of reach of children. Placing the opener switch that is mounted in your garage in a position that can’t be reached by kids is also important.
- Don’t let children play with your remote to your automatic garage door opener.
- Learn about your automatic garage door opener by reading the manual and further your knowledge about the safety features and fail safes built into your system.
- Check on the components of your garage door system monthly. Keep tabs on the condition of your entire system to ensure proper functionality.
- Check on your safety sensors and make sure they work properly by placing and object in the path of the closing door. If the door reverses course and moves back to the open position your sensors are in good working order. If the sensors can’t ‘see’ each other your garage door should not be able to close.
- Explain the dangers of getting your hands and fingers caught in the apparatus of your automatic garage opener system. Getting a finger or hand stuck can lead to serious injury and damage that is potentially permanent.
- Make sure your garage door is all the way closed before leaving. This will allow kids or pets to have a path out of your house as well as giving animals and intruders an easy path into your home.
- If you leave on vacation, unplug your garage door system to save power and ensure that nobody can access your home through your garage.
- Make sure you have customized access codes. Never keep the manufacturers code as your active code.
- NEVER leave your remote in your car or with a valet attendant. Using your smart phone as a remote is a good solution to this.
Hopefully this has been an enlightening entry on garage door safety that sees you go into this upcoming garage door safety month and beyond with increased awareness and safety levels when it comes to your automatic garage door system. Be safe and we wish you and your family a wonderful Garage Door Safety Month from our team here at On Track Garage Door Services!