Your garage is one of the most vital components to your home. It can store important belongings, house vehicles, act as a workshop or a common area. Regardless of the way your purpose your garage it holds inherent safety risks that every home owner should be aware of. On top of knowing and understanding the risks associated with garages and automatic garage door systems can go a long way toward successfully avoiding any unnecessary risks or injuries that could lead to health issues or potential lawsuits. Not only can your garage pose the risk of physical accidents, it is also the most vulnerable area of your home when it comes to break-ins and burglary. The nature of garage doors leaves them open to being breached if they are properly secured. Even automatic garage door openers can be easily hacked with any kind of frequency transmitter is the automatic garage door opener system is old enough. Taking the time to understand the weak points of your garage is the only way to strengthen them in order to increase the efficiency of your garage in both performance and security. Protect your family, guests as well as your belongings with some of the tips listed below.
- Use a smaller remote garage door opener that you can fasten to your keys instead of you car visor. Keeping the remote on you lowers the probability of someone getting ahold of by breaking into your car.
- Inform your kids about garage door safety. Make sure they understand how it works and where the possible dangers are. Knowledge is truly power.
- Make sure you always keep your garage door closed if you don’t need it to be open. Don’t give would be thieves a peek at your merchandise or an easy entry point. Keep your possessions safe and out of view, close your garage door.
- Keep your garage door well-kept and maintained. Making sure your garage door is always functioning properly is the best way to make sure it is operating safely. Your garage is the biggest moving part of your home, make sure it and its components are always in good condition. Performing routine checks of your garage door system is an absolute must on both the safety and maintenance fronts. Not only will keeping tabs on your system make it more safe to operate, it will also position you to save major money over the lifetime of your automatic garage door opener system.
- Make sure your windows are covered for the same reasons we listed above for keeping your garage door closed at all times. Giving would be intruders a way to peek inside your garage and take inventory of its contents and entry points is raising your chances for an intrusion/robbery. Keep your windows covered with attractive curtains or blinds so you can enjoy the open windows when you are working in your garage, but leave your windows covered and concealed when you are not.
More tips coming next week!!