We are in the middle of an uncharacteristically cold winter in the Phoenix area and it may get even colder as the season trots along. Cold weather has a unique effect on your automatic garage door system and the way you approach maintenance during the winter should be adjusted accordingly to match the unique challenges that you will be presented with. There are ways you can prepare before winter gets into full swing and there are steps you can take throughout the winter to ensure that your automatic garage door system stays in top shape and functions efficiently.
- Make sure your garage door(s) are cleaned thoroughly before the winter. Any buildup and debris should be moved to discourage any rust damage that may develop as the season progresses.
- Weather stripping on the bottom of your garage door(s) should be cleaned as well. Make sure that it is in great condition on top of being clean. Cracks, tears, missing chunks, and parts that may be poorly attached should all be addressed immediately in order to keep your garage dry and free of the winter air entering.
- Clean your garage windows and check on their overall condition. If you have any damaged windows, you should replace them as soon as you possibly can. Making sure you have strong windows that are thoroughly sealed. If you have a cracked window, wind and precipitation can severely compromise the integrity of the window.
- Check on the condition of the moving parts associated with your automatic garage door system. Making sure there is no excess buildup of grease and making sure all components are in good working order is highly recommended. You may need to call in a professional if cables and torsions springs are in need of repairs or adjustments.
- Make sure the batteries in your remotes are fresh.